From interviews to opinion pieces, we round-up our top five moments of 2017
The last 12 months were eventful to say the least. We attended some great events and met loads of inspirational people. Pitching It Black may be in its infancy, but we’re pleased with what we’ve achieved to date and look forward to building over the next 12 months. It’s only right we thank our followers both of the site and on social media. We’re grateful for all the likes, shares and retweets in 2017.
Here’s to a great 2018 of celebrating black excellence in European football.
1. #BlackRegistaMovement | “Acknowledgment of black midfielders and their technical prowess ultimately is the main aim of the movement.” We spoke to the creator of the brilliant hashtag Simeon John, and foundout what the inspiration was behind it.
2. Sky’s the Limit | Coach at Charlton Athletic and drone operator David Powderly gave us insight into life as a youth team coach, speaking in detail about obtaining the relevant Uefa licenses, as well as his inventive implementation of drone technology in football coaching.
3. The Comeback Kid | At the end of the 2016/17 season, we caught up with Arsenal and Nigeria forward Alex Iwobi. All things from career highs and lows, advice from his famous uncle Jay-Jay Okocha and Fuji music was on the agenda.
4. Put Some Respek on N’Golo Kante’s Name | Yvens Tiamou blessed us with a piece on Chelsea’s anchor man, where he “loosely” rhymed about the Frenchman’s role within the team. Tiamou also had some choice words for the media and their deconstruction of the black athlete.
5. A Chat With Sir Les | In our first high-profile interview, we spoke to Les Ferdinand about his Director of Football role at Queens Park Rangers and the lack of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) managers in the game.